Looking to ways to reduce your electric bill in Phoenix, Arizona? Are you a homeowner looking for ways to save money on SRP or APS electricity bills?
Here you will find all kinds of great tips on how to lower your electric bill and save money. The most common questions we receive are:
- How do I lower my electric bill in my apartment?
- How do I lower my electric bill in my house?
- How do I lower my electric bill in the summer?
- How do I lower my electric bill in the winter?
- How do I cut my electric bill in half?
- How to save money on my electric bill in Arizona?
- How to lower my SRB electricity bill?
- How to lower my APS electricity bill?
*If you found this post while searching in any of the east valley cities of Phoenix (Scottsdale, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert) or maybe the west valley Phoenix cities (Peoria, Surprise, Sun City, Glendale) Arizona, Alternative Energy, LLC has the solution to your high energy usage problem. We can help you lower your electric bill by up to 25-99% with NO MONEY DOWN.
The Best Ways To Lower Your Electric Bill In Arizona are:
- Install radiant barrier
- Install attic insulation
- Install mini split ac units
- Install solar panels
- Use spray foam insulation
- Get a high powered attic fan
- Get a Wi-Fi thermostat
- Install energy efficient windows
- Adjust your thermostat
- Optimize your heating
- Run pool equipment less often
- Use hot water less often
- Install energy efficient lighting
1. Install Radiant Barrier
Installing radiant barrier can help lower your electric bill by up to 17%. This might not be much savings in colder climates, but in sunny climates like Arizona has, 17% of a couple hundred bucks really means something.
By installing radiant barrier you are basically creating a barrier between the inside of your home and the top of your roof. This is where most of the heat comes from inside your home. Installing radiant barrier sends that heat back to where it came from. Any heat left over in the attic is pushed out your attic fan (if you have one) that recirculates the air for maximum cooling potential.
For example, if you current electric bill is $200, you can expect to save around $35 a month just by installing radiant barrier and an attic fan. This far out weighs the cost of radiant barrier installation.
- Professional Radiant Barrier Installation Costs W/ Attic Fan: $2,125
- 25 year estimated savings from Professional Radiant Barrier: $9,000
As you can see, just with radiant barrier and an attic fan alone, you can save as much as $9,000 over the next 25 years; Minus the cost of radiant barrier and attic fan installation. You can save even more if you choose to install radiant barrier DIY. See the radiant barrier cost comparison here.
Learn more about Radiant Barrier
2. Install Attic Insulation
Installing blown-in attic insulation can also help lower your electric bill. Attic insulation reduces the heat in your attic just like radiant barrier but works differently. Blown-in insulation is commonly to reduce the amount of heat coming into your home through the attic.
According to Family Handyman, homeowners can lower their electric bills by up to 15-25% depending on their current level of insulation and climate.
Learn more about Attic Insulation
3. Install Mini Split AC Units
Air conditioning units and cooling costs bear the most weight on your electricity bill accounting for an average of 40% of your total electric bill in Arizona. In the summer in is even worse, during some of the hottest Phoenix days you can expect your air conditioning unit to account for 70% of your total energy consumption.
Installing mini split ac units instead of central air conditioning can save lower your electric bill by up to 30%. *This savings figure is based on the fact that you are currently using central air conditioning to cool your home.
- Cost less to install
- Operates quieter
- Increase home value
- Can lower your electric bill by 30%
Learn more about mini split ac units
4. Install Solar Panels
According to EnergSage, homeowners in Arizona can lower their electric bill and save as much as $16,866 by installing solar panels on their roof. Solar panels are becoming extremely popular as the world is going more “green” friendly.
However, you could be saving even more if you make other energy efficient improvements to your home first. For example, installing radiant barrier and an attic fan can reduce the amount of air conditioning you need; thus reducing the amount of electricity you need to cool your home.
For example, our company, Alternative Energy, LLC, can sometimes install radiant barrier, an attic fan, other energy upgrades and solar for the same price a competitor was quoting the homeowner for only solar installation. That’s because most solar companies don’t offer energy upgrades, just solar.
Learn more about solar panels in Arizona
5. Use spray foam insulation
Installing spray foam insulation can help you lower your electric bill significantly! According to Clean Crawls, “With the increased energy efficiency of your home, you can save between 30%-50% on your energy bills.” Installing spray foam also has many other benefits. Potential cut your electricity bill in half with spray foam insulation.
Learn more about Spray Foam Insulation
6. Get a high powered attic fan
Attic fans, or ventilation fans, are made to cool your attic, forcing the hot air out of the attic. Arizona is the worst for hot attics. An attic fan can keep the air in your attic much cooler, thus lowering the temperature in your overall home. If you are going to install radiant barrier, you have to install an attic fan or your attic will turn into an oven with no ventilation.
However, there are mixed opinions when it comes to savings with attic fans. It seems as if the combination of an attic fan and counterparts are where the real savings come in.
7. Get a Wi-Fi thermostat
According to iMore, installing a Wi-Fi thermostat can lower your electric bill by $131 – $145. The average savings of Wi-Fi thermostats is around 10-23% savings depending on which manufacturer you research.
8. Install energy efficient windows
Energy Star states that upgrading from single pane windows to Energy Star qualified windows can lower your electric bill by $381 a year versus upgrading from double pane windows to Energy Star qualified windows which will only lower your electric bill by $61.
9. Adjust your thermostat
You can save 2-3% instantly on your electric bill by setting your SRP or APS thermostat settings to 1 degree warmer. Here’s another tip: Set your home or office thermostat to a set temperature of 79° and use ceiling or floor fans to decrease the temperature of the room by up to 5° cooler.
- Add blinds or shades to your windows to keep the sunlight from penetrating into your home
- Use the heat of the sun to dry clothes, saving money on running your dryer
- Add special insulation to keep cold or hot air from entering your home through your power outlets
- Install an attic fan to remove excess heat from your roof – heat in your attic is the number one reason A/C units do not work as efficiently
- Change your air filter once a month to keep your A/C unit running 100% efficiency
10. Optimize your heating
Phoenix really isn’t all that bad when it comes to the winter season but you can get some pretty tough hits to your electric bill from not planning ahead. We put together a list of ways to help you stay warm during the winter time and also keep money in your pocket for the holiday season.
- Don’t run the heat all night, use blankets while sleeping to keep warm
- Make sure you have applied caulking around exposed areas of your home such as doorframes, sill plates, window and any other place air can seep through – floors, walls, ceilings etc.
- Turn your exhaust fans off directly after using
- Don’t keep your blinds closed, open them to let the sun warm the room for you to use less heat
- Don’t use mobile electric heaters, it costs much more money to use electric heat than gas heat
- During the winter time, cooking can actually help heat your home for you, never use it as your main source of heat though
- Turn your ceiling fans on reverse when it cold outside to bring the hot air down
- Reduce heat loss by installing tempered glass fireplace doors
- Add special insulation to keep cold or hot air from entering your home through your power outlets
- Change your air filter once a month to keep your heater or furnace running 100% efficiency
- If you go on vacation set your thermostats to 60 degrees
- To save the most money set your thermostats to 68 degrees if you’re only going to be away for a few hours
11. Run pool equipment less often
Your pool equipment costs a lot of money to run so we put together a couple tips to help you save on running pool equipment such as pool filters, pool pumps, kreepy’s and more. Get the clean pool you are looking for without the hassle of paying too much for it.
- If you have a pool heater, shut it off when not in use for 7 days or more
- Save 4 thousand gallons of pool water just by installing a pool cover
- Purchase a pool pump with variable speed for more savings and a quitter pump
- It costs $4 to get your spa heated to 100 degrees, if you’re not going to use it, turn it off
- Save more than half of what you are paying now for pool equipment usage by installing a variable spped pump
- save up to 50% of your pool’s energy cost – as much as $150 a year – when you install a variable-speed pool pump
- Cover pool or spa when not using
12. Use hot water less often
Reduce the amount of hot water your currently and instantly using to save money on electricity comfortably. From lowering water temperature to installing different water saving shower heads, Alternative Energy, LLC has the information you need to save money on power.
- Dont use hot water to wash clothes, use cold water to save more money
- Rinse dishes with cold water instead of hot water
- Install an insulation jacket for your water heater that can lower your energy usage from your water heat by up to 10 degrees. Although, some water heater manufacturers warn agains installing jackets, read your user mnual before installing
- Installing showerheads that are (low-flow) can save your home up to 15 thousand gallons of water usage per year
- Stop running water while washing dishes or shaving
13. Install LED lighting
Installing an energy efficient lighting system is the best way to save money on electricity usage. From installing LED bulbs to turning off the lights when you should, we got all the energy savings tips your need to save money on lighting.
- Installing LED lights can save you almost $100 over the lifetime of your bulbs
- Install a home monitoring system to make sure your lights are off when you are away from the home
- Unplug appliances and lightings that you aren’t using
- Keep from having to switch out your light bulbs every other month by installing bulbs that will last 1000% longer, LED’s, they also emit less heat which helps you save on cooling your home
Other Ways To Lower Your Electric Bill
- Install temperature resistant foam. Add temperature resistant foam under your water heater to keep it from losing heat faster
- Hot water heater timer. Use a hot water heater timer to turn off your hot water heater during hours you don’t use it much like when you are sleeping
- Lower your water heater temp. Lower your hot water heater temperature to 120 degrees
- Close blinds and curtains. Keep you blinds and curtains closed during the day or summer
- Use Off-Peak Electricity. Only use major appliances like your washer and dryer at night to avoid using on-peak hours. Using electricity during off-peak hours will lower your electric bill the most
- Dry Clothes Outside. Instead of using your dryer all the time, dry most of your clothes outside as heating uses a lot of electricity.
- Wash clothes W/ cold water. Washing your clothes with cold water will help you avoid using your hot water heater as much.
- Use Fireplace heating. You will lower your electric bill more if you use a fireplace instead of electric heat.
- Use Outdoor Solar Lighting. Everyone leaves their outside lights on all night long. Replace your outside lights with solar lights to lower your electric bill even more
- Turn off or Unplug Appliances. Appliances have the ability to use something called “phantom” electricity. Make sure you unplug appliances you aren’t using frequently. However, be careful as some of your family members might yell at you.
Want To Learn How You Lower Your Electric Bill By Up To 99%?
If you would like to learn more about saving up to 99% on electricity with no money down, contact Alternative Energy, LLC today! We offer no money down solutions to help homeowners start investing in smart energy solutions.
Save even more when you combine solar with our other revolutionary energy saving products!